You might think I’ve completely lost it this time. Imaginative play using carpet samples? Really?
Why, yes!! In fact, it’s quite genius. They are lots of fun! And did I mention free?
The play possibilities are endless here. Let me show you our 5 favourites.
5 Imaginative Play Ideas using Carpet Samples
1. Teddy Bear Tea Party
These carpet square are the perfect little seat for your next tea party. They are so soft, inviting and comfortable you might just fall asleep (extremely sleep deprived people raise your hands!)
Not only can you use the little carpets to allocate seating at the tea party (your kids will just love this), you can also use one as a play stove (preparing your morning tea) or arrange all of them as a picnic blanket, the softest you’ll ever will know!
2. Dramatic Doll Play
This is when our carpet samples come out most: as play beds for the dolls. I can not tell you all the ways my kids use these mini carpets with their dolls. We’ve had nurseries, doctor’s offices, kindergartens, camping adventures, sleep overs, class rooms, emergency rooms, … You name it, they’ve played it.
3. Going on a Bear Hunt
Our carpet samples happened to just the right colours to set out a little bear hunt scene. My 3 year old son was still thinking about the set up in this image and actually ended up taking a nap in the river before making it to the bear cave! (Btw, have a look at our other bear hunt adventure here!)
4. Dinosaur Sensory Small World
These carpet samples are perfectly suited for sensory small world play. The sensory aspect is right there: warm, soft fluff. The earthly tones (or whatever colours you end up with) set the scene for a multitude of small world play scenes.
Since we’re in an all things dinosaur stage, I set up this little invitation to play for him to enjoy.
5. All Around Play Mat
These mini carpets are the perfect play mats for getting your big collection of toys (Playmobil, LEGO, blocks, …) out and have a good long play with them. The carpets squares are soft and inviting and most of all: define the play space, so it doesn’t (read shouldn’t) end up all over the house. Plus, kids generally love it when they have a designated space where they can do their thing, it’s a win-win situation!
Unexpected Benefits of Carpet Samples in Play
We couldn’t be more happy with our little carpets. I never expected them to be so loved by our children though … who knew? Aside from the play ideas above, we’ve noticed a couple of benefits that might surprise you:
1. My son keeps falling asleep on them. He’s a highly sensitive boy and these little carpets really work well for him. He gets them out in almost every play situation and gets comfortable. Have a look here, where he used them in his blanket fort.
2. As briefly mentioned above: play mats define play spaces. And this is huge because it can radically change the way your child plays. Here is an interesting article about the importance of defining a play space.
3. Teaching children the importance of recycling. Most (all) carpet companies will gladly give you their last season’s carpet samples since they have to dispose of them anyway. This is a great opportunity to recycle and discover the joy of junk play.
4. And a great opportunity to show your children that the best things to play with often aren’t toys. It teaches children to think outside of the box, to engage in imaginative play.
I’m sure I’ve done my best by now to convince you that carpet samples are the next best thing and you should probably put a stack under the Christmas tree. Lol, that might not go down well! Anyway, be sure to give it a go!
Take care, Ann*
PS: Want to pin this post? You can do that here.