Every mom who has busy toddlers and/or preschoolers knows the value of a quick and easy play idea, and this my friends, is a good one. This simple dinosaur sensory play activity will keep your little ones entertained for quite a while.
Read on for top tips to get the most out of this play session and how you can switch things up so the fun never has to end!
Setting Up a Simple Dinosaur Sensory Play Invitation
This is every bit as simple as it looks. All you need is a container with some soapy warm water (aka special dinosaur bubbles) and a box of some kind with a ruler taped to it. And maybe you want to add something that could serve as steps for the dinosaurs to get up the box should they need it.
Then get your kiddo’s to let all the dinosaurs out and you’re in business!
This simple play set up can provide hours of entertainment just as it is. My three year old boy played with it on and off all day long on and off. Finding an activity that captivates his attention for so long is not an easy thing for us. I think it’s the combination of water, dinosaurs and action that makes it work for him.
For you, it might be something else that works so here are a couple of ideas to extend this simple play idea.
1. Add a sensory activity that gives meaning to the “jump and wash” game such as painting with dinosaurs or playing in the sandpit so the dinosaurs have to get clean.
2. Add a pretend play activity afterwards such as drying and laying them all in bed with a goodnight song. My daughter loved doing this. Or make up a story that leads up to the dinosaurs having to get into the soapy water.
3. Substitute water for water beads (or something else … mud? if you’re feeling brave!), change the colour of the water or change it up in any other way you can think of.
4. Add some fun learning to your activity: how many dinosaurs can fit on the ruler, can you sort them by size, colour, family? And you can keep going on like that.
5. Ditch the dinosaurs and get the LEGO’s out, or your Playmobil princesses or the animals from Old Macdonald’s farm. This could go on for days!
For the Love of Simple Play
Having three kids aged 6, 3 and 7 months, simple play activities are what get us through some days. I often need or want to read with my eldest, run wild with my three year old ball of energy or take care of the baby. I haven’t even mentioned my everyday jobs that keep the household running yet. In short, parents need time. And simple activities like this dinosaur sensory play idea give you just that, sometimes a much needed 5 minutes, other times a luxurious half an hour. We tend to take what we can get and be grateful.
If this resonates with you, I’ve got your back with some great resources. This list of easy play ideas that encourage creativity will get you through the week and here is a whole collection of simple invitations to play, create and explore that might work for you.
And by the way, if you have a little dinosaur fan on your hands, have a look at our awesome dinosaur play ideas on the blog here and our Pinterest board here.
Good luck and have fun!
Loved this post? You can do that here.
Leave a Reply