Children’s story books capture the essence of childhood, don’t you agree?
It’s the snuggles on the couch, the repetitive rhymes, favorite characters and bedtime story rituals that we’ll remember with such fondness years from now. We all have shelf somewhere full of children’s books, but are we making the most of them?
Today I’d love to share with you 12 ways to tell a story of how to engage with stories. I’m talking about setting up story baskets and putting together sensory bins. I’m sharing a few book based dramatic play ideas and puppet tutorials with free printable. There are even a couple of book based recipes for you to try and of course there are the favorite small worlds, LEGO interpretations and book arts and crafts. You might even be pleasantly surprised by some improvised storytelling ideas you hadn’t heard of before or be brave and try out some book inspired science projects.
But wait, there is more … you non-sleep deprived people will notice that there is a number 13. It’s your bonus feature. Under number 13 I have collected some out of the box creative book based activities that will show you there are no limits to what you can do with a story.
There you have it, an article filled to the brim with book based creative goodness.
A huge thank you to all the bloggers for sharing their ideas and putting the effort in to document them so we can join in on the fun. Thank you!
And now without further ado: do dive in and enjoy!
1. Story Basket
- Goodnight Gorilla Story Basket by Little Worlds
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Story Basket by The Imagination Tree
- The Happy Man and His Dump Truck Story Basket by School Time Snippets
- Jack & the Beanstalk Story Basket by Sun Hats and Wellie Boots
- Goldilocks Storytelling Basket by The Imagination Tree
2. Sensory Bin
- Little Blue Truck Sensory Play by Sunny Day Family
- The Little Yellow Digger Sensory Bin by Little Worlds
- Monsters Love Colors Sensory Bin by Enchanted Homeschooling Mom
- One Duck Stuck Muck Sensory Play by Pre-K Pages
- Peter Rabbit Sensory Bin by Still Playing School
3. Dramatic Play
- We’re Going on a Bear Hunt Map and Binoculars by Buggy and Buddy
- Paper Bag Princess Costume by Mama, Papa, Bubba
4. Story Puppets
- Three Little Pigs Shadow Puppets by Adventure in a Box (FREE printables!)
- Leaf Puppets by Messy Little Monster
- Little Red Riding Hood Finger Puppets by Easy Peasy Fun (FREE printables!)
- Superhero Puppets by Messy Little Monster
5. Food Ideas
- If You Give a Cat a Cupcake Gift Box by Non Toy Gifts
- Rainbow Sprinkle Star Kindness Cookies by Rhythms of Play
- Cookies and Bookies by Growing Book by Book
6. Improvised Storytelling
- 5 Ways to Make and Use Story Stones by the Artful Parent
- Storytelling with Paper Dolls by Bounceback Parenting
- Sticker Tales: How to Write a Story by Nurture Store
- Storytelling Games for Creative Thinking by Imagination Soup
- Storytelling in the Woods by Rainy Day Mum
7. Book Based Crafts
- Kindness Elves Rainbow Paper Plate Bag by Arty Crafty Kids
- Clay Sea Turtle Craft by Buggy and Buddy
- Tissue Paper Rainbow Fish by Arty Crafty Kids
- Paper Plate Little Red Hen by Glued to My Crafts
- Sponge Painted Train Craft Inspired by Freight Train by Buggy and Buddy
8. Small World Play
- Old MacDonald Small World by Little Worlds
- We’re Going on a Bear Hunt Sensory Small World by Little Worlds
- Room on a Broom Doll House in a Box by Adventure in a Box
- Hairy Maclary Small World by Little Worlds
- Roadwork Small World by Stay at Home Educator
9. Fun Learning with Books
- Mouse Shapes Learn to Spell your Name by Growing Book by Book
- Nursery Rhyme Sorting by Munchkins and Moms
- BIG / small Sorting by Little Worlds
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by Munchkins and Moms
- Dr. Seuss Oh The Places You’ll Go Craft and Writing Activity by Inner Child Fun
10. Story Time Science
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Preschool STEAM
- The Little Engine that Could Science Experiment by Sugar, Spice and Glitter
- Fairy Tale Science Experiments by Science Sparks
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Preschool STEAM
- Build a Bridge for 21 Elephants by Playground Parkbench
11. Book based Art
- My Color is Rainbow Yarn Art by Rhythms of Play
- Crumbled Paper Ish Art by Buggy and Buddy
- Press Here Art Activity by Munchkins and Moms
- Jack Frost Sparkly Winter Art by Our Little House in the Country
12. Storytelling with LEGO
- Three Billy Goats Gruff Activity: LEGO retelling by Growing Book by Book
- The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Adventure in a Box
- Storytelling with LEGO men by Lemon Lime Adventures
- Magic Tree House LEGO Treasure Hunt by Little Bins for Little Hands
- 7 Storytelling tips using LEGO by Kids Activities Blog
13. Book Activities
- Dinosaur Gross Motor Movement Game by the OT Toolbox
- Pigeon Needs a Bath by the Pinterested Parent
- The Day the Crayons Came Home by Arty Crafty Kids
- Kindness Postcards by Messy Little Monster (FREE printables!)
- Invitation to Build a Bird Nest by Munchkins and Moms
- My Important Book by Mama Miss
- Three Billy Goats Gruff Invitation to Tell the Story with Play Dough by Little Worlds
And just like that your head is swarming with ideas.
Don’t know where to begin? Let your kiddo pick an image and start from there. Or choose a favorite book and start with the idea that energized you the most.
Feeling brave? Do something you haven’t done before. Give it a go, you might be surprised!
Need more books all of a sudden? Order them today!
What are all time favorite books and/or book activities in your family? I’m always looking for inspiration and would love to hear!
PS: Want to pin this post? You can do that here.